Thursday, February 2, 2012

a good day.

Today was a good day.
It started out like any other Thursday... I woke up at 6:30 and began my usual morning routine of coffee and cleaning up toys and getting around to whatever I didn't get around to the night before. When I went out on the porch to feed the dog it was unusually warm outside, which threw me off a bit since the rain normally drops the temperatures around here. So I left the porch door open and I went about my business until the kiddos woke up. 
We all got dressed for our typical Thursday activities, which include preschool for Mary Ella and Kindermusik for Sam, ate our breakfast, then loaded up in the car to head to preschool. On the way I looked at the temperature on my car and it said "60 degrees" and it was only 9:00 am! As we got closer and closer to the school I thought, "You know what? It's February and it's 60 degrees at 9am. Forget school." And with that, I drove right on past the preschool, right on past the carpool line, and decided we were going to just enjoy the day being outside and being together. And although I'm terribly exhausted as I sit here and write this post tonight, I will tell you that we had a really, really GOOD day. It was one of those days where, at the end, you just say "Thank you Lord!" The kids were unusually good (no major tantrums, fits, talking back). The car rides were good. There was little complaining and whining, which is ALWAYS good. And you know I'm not one of those mothers who will pretend like our lives are always peachy and perfect and full of crafts and projects and Easy Bake Oven treats every minute of every day. Our days are FAR from being perfect. Most days I want to pull my hair out. But today was just a good day. And I am just blessed to be where I am and doing what I do. (Sorry if this sounds like I'm rambling a bit; I'm tired. Tired and thankful.)

Anyway, the kids loved the zoo. Since it was a spur of the moment trip, I did not have a stroller so we ended up renting one of the zoo's double strollers for $10. And can I just say that those strollers are worth every cent; not because I didn't have mine. They are just awesome. Easy to push, easy to access your kids if they wanna get out, easy for your kids to climb in and out themselves, and they just maneuver so well, even on the dirt and the gravel paths. I'll be renting their strollers from now on. Ok, I digress...

We saw these birds, which I've never seen before at our zoo. They are Roseate Spoonbills. Their bodies are all white but their eyes and wings and legs are pink. They look even prettier when they fly. I just thought they were interesting, and kinda fitting since it's Valentine's month. :)

Sam LOVED the train. 

I know he doesn't look happy in this picture, but that's because he did not want me putting my hands on him to keep him from falling off the seat. (Also notice large baby bump.)

"What?? The train is stopping???"

The goats managed to coax Sam out of all of his goldfish and then nearly swiped his sippy cup, too.

I took this picture of her in the bamboo because one of my favorite pictures EVER of Mary Ella is when we went to the Nashville Zoo when she was little. I posted it below.

(November 2009)

After the zoo, we picked up a quick lunch then came home and all 3 of us crashed on the guest room bed. I didn't intend to take a nap, but I laid down with them to help Sam get to sleep so that he wouldn't roll off the bed. The next thing I knew it was 4:30 in the afternoon!
We got up and I fed the kids a snack/early dinner and then decided we'd go up to the shopping center and walk around a bit since it was still daylight and since Daddy had a business dinner out of town.

We went in a couple stores to kill time then ventured over to Books A Million; our particular B.A.M. features a Yogurt Mountain instead of your usual Joe Muggs coffee shop. So of course we indulged.
Mary Ella had her usual: toppings. With about a spoonful of yogurt.

After yogurt we ran up to Target to kill more time. We bought a few groceries and I picked up the cheapest, smallest microwave they had because ours is broken and I am desperate to be able to make my kids a nutritious easy dinner without having to use my stove or oven. Thankyouverymuch.

Then we came home and I let the kids stay up until after 10pm so they could see their Daddy. They played and played and played and played. Toys were everywhere. Mary Ella taught Sam how to stack blocks (something he could not do last month and something that made him VERY frustrated), but he stacked 6 blocks tonight. Which is good. I think it taught him to be a little more gentle (and a LOT more patient.) It was fun to watch him get excited about it. Then we read "Little Toot" before bed, a story about a tug boat who is trying to fit in with the rest of the boats. 

I took a picture of the first page for my February Day 2 photo; the category for today is "Words."

It was a GOOD day.
I hope you had a good day too.

blessed signature
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...